Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

How Much Do We Expect?

Which holidays do most Jews take part in?  Passover, Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur.  I find it strange and fascinating that the holidays that require the most effort from us are the ones we observe the most.  Passover is a major ordeal with cleaning out chametz and eating special food, a dinner party that lasts all night.  The high holidays of Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur bring people out in droves to shul; where there may be typically 50 people at a service, now there is hundreds.  And of course lets not forget the fasting.  These holidays require a lot from us.  What about Purim, Tu B' Shevat, Shavuot, Lag B Omer?  Not much required here and not much done here. 

So what is the point I am making?  When little is expected, little is done.  When much is expected, much is done. 

How many times have you given your child a chore to do and they never seem to do it?  But, if you give them 3 things to do, they will do 1 or 2 of them.  Much is expected, so they do accomplish something.  It is the same in the adult world.  When I have a really busy day I get so much accomplished.  On the rare occasion I have just a few things to do, nothing gets done. 

Why have the Jewish people lasted so long against all odds when other nations have perished?  We have been persecuted and exiled and yet we still exist.  Its because we value the Torah.  In Devarim (Deuteronomy) it says my law is not too difficult for you.  So, is Hashem saying follow my law to the letter and you will be ok, you will be "saved" as some people like to put it?  No, this is western thinking.  What I think is meant by this is here is my Torah, do it.  Do your best, keep trying, I love you and just ask that you love me back by listening. 
Will we be like our kids and do 3 things when 5 are expected?  Most likely.  Does Hashem know this about us?  Yes.  Am I giving permission here to slack off?  Certainly not.  Doing everything would be fabulous, and is our goal.  The point is there has to be much expected or we would do nothing.  The more we do, the more we do.  When we do less and less then we will eventually do nothing and we would miss out on the beauty of the Torah and our relationship with Hashem and with each other.  Do we not want our children to have self respect and integrity?  We make sure they don't sit on their rear end all day, we give them projects, chores, books to read.  As they get older they get even more responsibility.  However, with more responsibility comes more privelege.  In the material world it means the ability to make our own choices, in the spiritual world it means more understanding so we can benefit more from our actions. 

How wonderful Hashem is that He expects much of us so we would always have something to grasp onto, something to keep us close to Him and each other, to live a more spiritual life.

No comments:

Post a Comment