Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Why Do We Call it the High Holidays?

Why do we call Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur the High Holidays?  How about the Days of Awe?  I woke up with this on my mind and realize G-d has given me some introspection on the matter.  

We have been told over the years this is a solemn time, a happy time, a sorrowful time.  So what gives?  I think what we need to do is focus on the words high and awe.  What are they associated with?  High also means lofty, towering, soaring.  Awe means wonderment, respect.  This does not sound like a sad, scary time waiting for G-d's wrath to come down and cause us all to perish because we did something wrong this past year.

I explained to my kids the purpose of this time is joyful because we all count.  Yes, we all make mistakes and we need to ask forgiveness from those we have offended and also from G-d.  But we need not dwell on this.  Once we do it we are done.  Be sincere and be done.  Why should we not dwell on our past mistakes?  Because they are in the past and G-d doesn't want us to dwell on them, He wants us to acknowledge them, ask forgiveness from them, learn from them and move on.

Our focus during these days after all is on G-d. The fact that He loves us enough to help us evaluate ourselves, to help us improve ourselves, that we count!  Our actions matter!  Our focus is on the Almighty our Creator, this is joyful, this is what "awe" and "high" are all about!  Then to show we get it we go live in a sukkah (or at least eat in one), a symbolism of how our ancestors trusted the Almighty when leaving Egypt so long ago and we still do to this day.  Sukkot brings things full circle, its a time to forgive and forget, it is a joyful time between each other and G-d our Creator!

No comments:

Post a Comment