Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Monday, July 23, 2012

Counting Our Tears

What does it mean when we cry?  It can be tears of sadness or tears of joy.  In either case, when we are brought to the point of tears we are then at the point of honesty.  We can lie to others, we can lie to ourselves, we can lie to G-d.  Our defenses are down for sure when we get to the point of tears. 








I watched a movie years ago called A Stranger Among Us starring Melanie Griffith.  The movie was excellent and I have watched it several times since then.  Basically it is about a murder and subsequent theft of jewels in a Jewish community.  Melanie Griffith plays an undercover cop disguised as a Jewish woman.  Sure that this is an inside job, she discreetly tries to blend in and find the murderer.  


Throughout the movie she learns many Jewish laws and customs and so does the audience.  She also learns the love and compassion a community like this can have for each other and for G-d.


In one scene a man is reading from the Kabbalah and says, "G-d counts the tears of women." When I heard this I felt there is comfort and protection from a G-d who hurts when I hurt.


There is a midrash that speaks of G-d crying.  Why?   This seems like a crazy notion.  The reason G-d is crying is because the Temple has been destroyed and Israel does not seem to understand the implications of this.  He loves His children so much and we have now distanced ourselves from Him.  Since we are a part of Him this separation causes our Father to shed tears.  What will arouse compassion in the Almighty is if He were to see us cry as well, then He will see how we don't want the separation anymore than He does.  


Any parent will understand this.  Our kids do something against our wishes, we get upset, we don't understand how this could be, we may cry over it.  Then, our children realize what they have done and they cry.  What is our response?  We feel a healing, a bonding, and we end up with a closer relationship than before because we have gone through this process together.  We end up with compassion for our kids, just like G-d will have compassion for us.  


G-d is not a being full of judgment ruling with an iron fist, He wants to be connected and close to us, He is full of mercy.  


G-d counts the tears of women.  The rest of the saying goes like this:  


The Woman came from a Man's rib, not from his feet to be walked on, not from his head to be superior, but from the side to be equal. Under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved."


This is beautiful, and true.  It shows us to prevent tears and also how to console tears (in a nutshell). 


Not only is the word woman referring to a woman but to all of Israel.  When Israel is hurting and crying G-d responds with compassion and mercy, this is what He truly wants-to be connected with us-to love us.  Tears show a true repentance, a letting down of our guard and showing of our real selves, nothing else matters at the point of tears, except the matter at hand.  Yes, G-d does count our tears, and maybe we should too.

















No comments:

Post a Comment