Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Excuse Me, I Have a Question


A good teacher will love to hear these words.  A bad teacher will not.  Why?  Good question!  The answer is in a book I am reading, Secrets of a Buccaneer Scholar.  From the book he says, "Often, to understand an idea, you need to smash it with a different idea, then see what happens to it."  Basically if we have a good idea it can be developed by poking it with the proverbial stick, if its not such a good idea it will not hold up.

If you are involved in anything where questions are frowned upon then think twice about it.




People will have discussions and someone will say, "Let me play devil's advocate."   This person will undoubtedly be seen as a trouble maker trying to stir up the pot.   No, it is a strengthening tool, it will help further develop your thoughts, help tweak them, or maybe even cause you to dump an idea altogether.

One of the things I love about Judaism and the learning process is, its not about learning a set of rules without question, instead its all about the questions.  It is a well know fact that when you have two Jews in a room you will get 5 opinions (at least).  When students study Torah together they are to ideally pick a partner who sees things differently than they do.  Not only is it possible to read Torah or Talmud with someone and see two different outcomes, reasons or situations, but it is probable. I believe this is the whole purpose of the Talmud, to challenge our brain, to make us question, help us think, develop us as people.  Modern day society has coined the phrase "thinking outside the box", this is what Talmud has been trying to help people do for centuries.

When I was in school I was one of those students who just wanted to take notes, and give it back on the test with a great grade at the end.  I was a good student but this was not learning.  There are no questions, we are gaining some knowledge but, its just sitting there waiting to be filed away in the section of our brain that holds useless information.   Don't get me wrong, I had teachers who encouraged questions but most people were afraid of looking dumb in front of their classmates.  Maybe they should've done as the Yeshiva's do and team people up, teach them how to be a devils advocate, to not be afraid of it.

Another popular phrase today is when we are involved with something we should "own it".  Yes!  How do we do this?  We make it a part of us, we study it, question it, and share it with someone else.  In teaching my own children I have them read or I read and then I ask them to repeat what they have learned.  This helps me know what they know and also solidifies it in their mind.  The sharing after the questioning is also important.  This is true learning.

Growing up I always had people around me who were the same as me.  Now, I still enjoy people with similar interests and views as myself but, I also enjoy those who see things from the other side of the coin.  I really do.  Both types of people are necessary in our lives, one for confirmation and one for challenge.

My husbands grandmother was a rather conservative woman, sensible shoes type person.  Her best friend in the entire world was Leah.  Leah was all loud and full of glitz and glamour.  She would make things up and swear it to be true, she was a riot.  Best friends and so different.  As they got older they promised each other not to go to the other side without the other one.  They are both gone now.  Just watching them together all of these years was an education and proof we need all kinds of people in this world, especially those who make us question.


No comments:

Post a Comment