Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I Know I Am Here Somewhere

I was watching my 2 dogs go on one of their many romps in the woods, thinking how just a few short years ago our oldest dog, Trina (9), was only interested in lying around, even lost interest in her tennis ball!  We were worried about her.  Then came Shelby, a precocious 1-2 year old Sheltie who we figure if she was human would be declared adhd!  Shelby has gotten Trina off her duff and they will spend hours hunting chipmunks and anything else in the woods.  It is wonderful to see the spark again in Trina's eyes-I wish they would live forever.

Such soulful eyes

I know something is under here!


My observation is how one being can affect another, whether it is animal or human.   We become like those we associate with.  Its true.  When I see 1 or 2 kids hanging out I don't worry, but a group of kids can be a problem.  All it takes is one to have a bad idea and now a whole group of kids will more or less follow along.  

In Tehillim (Psalms) it says:  Happy is the man who has not followed the council of the wicked, or taken the path of sinners....
People are meant to be together, we are meant to fellowship, play and work together.  The point is to watch who you do that with.  If animals can be swayed to act differently, then we certainly can.  

I had a friend for many years,  we eventually lost touch and it wasn't until she was out of my life for a few weeks that I realized she was stifling me.  I was thinking and acting like her until she left.  Now I had an open slate to discover and act on who I really was, I felt such unexpected relief and it has been amazing!  Seriously check out who you are spending time with and evaluate it.  Are you doing what they do just because they do it (this happens within reason in relationships but I mean to a point where you have lost yourself)?

I like when my kids play with certain friends because they are a good influence on each other, I recognize my children.  Other friends I try to deter because my kids come home and act strange and out of sorts.  If your kids are acting up, check out their friends and make changes if need be.  It doesn't mean this other child (or adult in our case) is mean or evil, it can just be a bad match, someone who doesn't click with us.
  Do we want to be more health conscious or spiritual?  Then be with these people. If you are not happy with what is going on in your life then see who you are hanging around, who is influencing you.  An environment really can help form our thoughts and actions.  





No comments:

Post a Comment