Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Friday, April 22, 2011

Was the Last Supper really a seder?

I apologize for not posting in a while but my husband and I were involved in a car accident and it has taken me away from my normal daily life for a while.  We are both ok, but it was very scary.  I have some herniated discs in my neck and back and my husband has a dislocated shoulder (at the least).  The insurance companies like to take their time in making sure you get the required tests to see what is really going on.  Anyway.....

I hope everyone had a wonderful Pesach!  We had family and friends over and were very thankful to be able to pull it off after all that has been going on.  We sang a bunch of songs, one of my favorites is The Ballad of the 4 sons (to the tune of Clementine).  It gets the message across and everyone enjoys it.

This time of year, especially when Passover and Easter are so close together, people start talking about how the Last Supper is really a Passover Seder.  Well, its not.  During Temple times a sacrifice was brought to commemorate the Exodus.   It wasn't until after the Temple was destroyed that the seder the way we know it took place.  The egg and the shank bone represent the desecrated Temple.   The Last Supper took place during Temple times, before the seder was in existence.

This is something important to know, and to make sure the next generation is aware of.  I have many Christian friends as well as Jewish friends.  It is natural to try and share our faith and see what we have in common but I think it is equally important not to turn things into what they are not.

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment