Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Friday, August 12, 2011

Rhythms of Jewish Living

I'm reading a neat book now called The Rhythms of Jewish Living-A Sephardic Approach.  I found it in our shul library.  Here is an excerpt from chapter 2.

When we attempt to understand the Torah and authentic Jewish spirituality, we need to be mindful of the strong cultural biases we have inherited from the Western philosophic tradition.  The urbanization and westernization of Jews over the past centuries have moved us away from the central religious insights of the Torah tradition.  As we open our eyes more to the outdoors, to the rhythms of nature, we will come into relationship with G0d, Creator of the universe.  The Torah and its words are guides to experience, symbols of undefined and undefinable truths.  Jewish spirituality enatails appreciating the value of calm, natural wisdom, and being aware of the limitations of abstract, analytic, systematic philosophy.

I thought this was very interesting, and food for thought over shabbat and the remainder of the weekend. 

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment