Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Friday, March 18, 2011

But the Food is Kosher!

When we hear the word kosher, we immediately think of food.  However, the definition of kosher is proper or fit, not just for food but for everything in our life.  Kosher is such a well known word that you don't have to be Jewish to use it. 

We celebrate Purim in a couple of days, it is such an exciting holiday, especially with children.  Costumes, groggers, food, drink....some say it is holier than Yom Kippur.   How can this be?  Because on Purim we are to have such a good time that we don't recognize the difference between Haman and Mordecai.  What does this mean?  This means there is no appearance of evil, this means we are back in Gan Eden (paradise). 

However, let's talk about a party that led up to the events of Purim.  King Achashverosh threw a huge party and promised there would be kosher food.  The Jews would have no excuse not to come, right?  Mordecai explained that we should not attend such a party, that even though the food may be kosher, the party was not.  In the end Acheshverosh made a mockery of the Jews, he wore priestly garments, and he ate from the Temple vessels,  The king also wanted his queen to show up with only her crown so people could see how beautiful she was.  She refused, but this tells us what kind of king this was and that this was not a kosher party!

Where do we spend our time today, where are our kids, what are we/they involved with?  Is it kosher?  We don't live in a kosher world,  it is up to us to bring G-d's light into the world through our actions, what we read, what we watch, who we hang out with, where we go.  It all counts.   Let's hold onto our principles, to our Torah.  One thing is for sure, the world is watching and will respect a person who stands up for their values, and their convictions.   Let's keep it kosher!




No comments:

Post a Comment