Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Monday, March 14, 2011

There's No Place Like Home

I am a big fan of the 1990's TV show Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman.  I love the west, the outdoors, and times gone by.   My kids have also seen this show many times with me and know when to get the box of tissues, I tend to cry at everything since hitting my 40's.  I notice watching this show and others like it, that the people spent a lot of time outdoors, they did their living outside more than inside-gardens, livestock, fishing, playing, laundry, even bathing.  People could travel for days by horse and get used to the sights and sounds of the great outdoors.  However, at the end of the day or the end of the trip, everyone would say the same thing - its great to be home! 

It may seem like a strange thought or perplexing question but if we like the outdoors and can do so much living away from home then why do we need a home, a permanent place to hang our hat and call our own, a place with 4 walls?   Its more than familiarity, although that is part of it.  Its comfort, love, a haven, a place we can be ourselves, even an extension of who we are.

We just finished 4 parshas regarding the Mishkan, or Tabernacle.  G-d is everywhere,  yet He desires a place to call home.    It is amazing to think that the Creator of the Universe wants to be with us and share our home.   Since we do not have the Tabernacle right now, we are His home.   We've heard that before but when we think what this means, what a home represents and how important a home is, its quite amazing.   This means the Creator of the universe uses us as His haven and we become an extension of Him.   What an awesome thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment