Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Passive Learning vs. Active Learning

This morning 2 of my kids said the following in reference to an experience in Hebrew School.

11 year old son - "I feel like I have to do things to make the whole world happy."

8 year old daughter (very matter of factly) - "Trust me I've been there!"

I was such a good student (I thought).  I sat at my desk, took notes and spewed back those notes during tests.  I didn't interrupt or ask questions, even though we were asked if we had questions.  Those kids who did have questions were the trouble makers because the goal was to be done.   As an adult I look back at my school years; I had some good times and some bad times.  I learned.  I learned to think passively.  I was trained, whether it was by certain teachers or by the presence of students and peer pressure to think passively.

Everyone has a different learning style.  However,  one thing that should remain constant is the ability to ask questions.  If you are asking questions, then you are actively thinking about what you are being taught.  How many times did we want to ask a question, even as an adult, and didn't because we thought it may sound stupid?  I can raise my hand on that one!  It is thought that the student who asks the most questions is learning the least because he doesn't understand.  However, the student who is asking questions is probably learning the most.  His/ her brain is engaged, they are wrapping their mind around the subject and looking at it from different angles. 

When students study Talmud, it is all about asking questions.  Ideally, 2 students are paired together who think differently.  These students can go back and forth on a topic for hours, asking each other questions and defending their position, or changing their minds.  Iron sharpens iron!

I tried to put this into practice today when I went to Chabad for Torah study.  I asked at least 3 questions, and the answers were helpful.

Regardless of where we are learning, it is so important to engage our brains and ask questions, I would even say make ourselves ask at least one question during a study session or class.  It will change the way we learn and think.

No comments:

Post a Comment