Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Friday, March 4, 2011

A Jew at Heart

Two men are talking in Israel,  one is a Yeshiva student who studies Torah, the other is an Israeli soldier who is in the army.  The soldier says to the student that he is not observant,  but he is a Jew at heart.  After a while, the soldier starts making fun of the student and finally says to him that he should be in the army.  The student replies that he is a soldier at heart! 

I love this story, it speaks volumes.  This week's Torah portion, Pekudei, (Exodus 38:21-40:38) mentions the word Tabernacle 2 times in the first verse.  Why?  Because it is speaking of 2 different tabernacles, a spiritual tabernacle and a physical tabernacle.  Which tabernacle fulfills G-d's desires?  The physical tabernacle.  Why?  Because G-d desires to  have a physical dwelling place in this world.  With a physical tabernacle we can do certain mitvot.  Why is this important?  Because even though G-d doesn't need us to do mitzvot, He wants us to do mitzvot. 

A wife does not want to hear I love you from her husband through the course of their marriage without him doing something special for her;  flowers, making breakfast, fixing something, etc...

G-d desires our mitzvot.  Even though the tabernacle is not here now, we represent the tabernacle and there are still plenty of mitzvot to do.  These mean so much to G-d and will bind us to Him.  As we light shabbos candles tonight, we are doing a very important mitzvot connecting our world with the world to come, our family with the creator.  

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment