Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Friday, May 20, 2011

The Couple in the Doctor's Office

I sat in the doctors office earlier today waiting for my turn.  As I sat I noticed 2 women sitting together, one was knitting and the other was commenting every few minutes on how long this was going to take.  I figured they were mother and daughter and they were.  The daughter (who was knitting) was getting annoyed and kept telling her it was not going to take that long.  Finally the doctor came out with the husband/father of these 2 ladies.  The doctor explained to the daughter the condition of her dad and assured her everything was fine.  In the meantime, the mother stood up and slowly walked over to the doctor, with a concerned look on her face, she interrupted and asked how her husband was.  The doctor said he was going to be fine.  She was so relieved, she walked over to her husband, he leaned down and they gave each other such a beautiful tender kiss.  With that the daughter said her mom has alzheimers and it has been very difficult. She gets upset with her but at the same time she knows her mom can't help it.  With this I look over at this elderly couple and they are holding hands and look so attached to each other, I just want to cry.  She is slipping away from him, she is scared of losing him, yet she will be the one who is lost.  On my way home I cried, I couldn't help it.  They were so sweet, still in love, and with time they would not be together, either because one would pass away or she would simply forget. 

So, why do I write about this here?  Because I don't want to lose site of what is important to me, and neither should you.  When all is said and done, our relationships with each other-spouses, kids, parents, siblings, friends etc...the memories we create and reminisce about, the legacy we leave, this is what is important.  Will people be sad to see us go? or will they say good riddens?  What will we be leaving behind?  Insight, laughter, traditions, a love for G-d?

This sweet couple has no idea the impact they had on me, and I can't effectively explain it, it reached deep down.  We never know when someone is watching us and what kind of affect we will have on other people!

No comments:

Post a Comment