Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Happy Rosh Chodesh!

Today is Rosh Chodesh.
What does this mean?  Rosh means head, Chodesh means month.  It is the head of the month or the first day of the month.  Why should women in particular be happy about this day?  Because it is a special day for us!  Every month, on the Jewish calendar we have the first day of the month to celebrate as a special day for us.
How did this come about?
When we were leaving Egypt we had so many jewels and treasures from the Egyptians it took at least 7 donkeys per person to carry it all.  Can you imagine!?   Fast forward to when Moses was supposed to come down the mountain.  He didn't come down when everyone thought he should so the men decided to make a golden calf.  Where would they get the gold for the golden calf?  They asked the ladies to give up their new jewels.  What would any lady say to this?  No way!  They had faith in Hashem. Because of this we have a special day every month-how cool is that?
How do we celebrate?
It is all up to custom.  Skip a typical tedious task (say that 3 times fast), go out to lunch, go to a Torah study.  Do something to give the day a special meaning, and pass the custom on to your daughters!

No comments:

Post a Comment