Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Anticipation

I went to a Bris Milah recently.  This is when a baby boy is circumcised and his name is given, it happens on the 8th day of his life.  We entered this nice hotel, there were breakfast foods and desserts on buffet tables, balloons and flowers everywhere and a nervous father (who was also the rabbi).  After schmoozing and eating we were all called to stand by our seats as the the baby was brought in on a beautiful pillow, prayers were said, honors of distinction were given to grandparents and close friends, the procedure was done-and the name was announced-Nosson (or Nathaniel in English).  It was so beautiful.  We enjoyed the whole morning, and part of the enjoyment was the anticipation of what was to come.  When the name was announced our joy was complete.

I used to think it crazy to wait so long to hear the name of a baby, but it was so awesome when I experienced it, to be a part of a celebration,  to be among friends and family when the name is given is such a happy moment especially since we are sharing it face to face.

I just had an image of Mt. Sinai.  We were all at Mt. Sinai together receiving the 10 commandments with anticipation-we were one.  Imagine if we were to receive the 10 commandments today?  Would it be in an email or on facebook?   Which holds more anticiaption?

 Another example~

My daughter got a letter in the mail yesterday (snail mail).  It was from a friend she met last summer while we were visiting my dad.  I held the letter in the air and yelled out to her that she got mail.  She was skateboarding and was so excited the skateboard went flying as she ran in the house to open it.  The smile on her face was huge.  She wrote a letter back (great way to do penmanship and spelling) and mailed it.  She is looking forward to her friend's response.  She is full of joy from her letter and of anticipation knowing another one will be coming soon.




These situations started me thinking about our instant society.  I am not a prude, I love my internet and I have a cell phone but, I think we are missing out on the joy anticipation brings.  Instead of looking forward to the future with anticipation, we are full of anxiety because things are not done fast enough. Because everything is so instant we crave more, not being fully satisfied.

It seems we are in a crash and burn mode now, our society has lost a lot of its joy.  I worry for kids today who feel the need to text, send pics and video instantly without thinking it through; who can't hold a conversation with the person they are with without texting someone else; who don't even want to sit and read a book.  Is there a way to enjoy the moment we are in while waiting for the next?

How nice it would be to slow down and feel the joy of anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment