Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Should We Worry?

I have a hard time understanding all of the upheaval that is going on around the world-who started what and why.  What does this mean for the Jewish people?  I have discovered one thing, typically when the world is concerned over something like this, we (Israel-we are Israel whether we live in Israel or not) do not have to share in the same concern. 

It is said that the coming of Moschiac will occur when certain events happen.  One such event is when there is turmoil in other countries.  When leadership is challenged and people are outraged the world will be alarmed as to what the retribution will be.  However, we do not need to be alarmed; instead we can prepare for the coming of Moschiac. 

While the world worries, our job is to keep studying Torah, raising our children and having faith in Hashem.   This sounds so much better than worrying over the troubles of the world.  We are so much closer to Moshiac with each passing day.   We want to be ready for the next step and nothing prepares us like Torah, it is so relevant for today and all times and brings peace and comfort.  While we shouldn't look at the world through rose colored glasses, we should be able to look at it with proper perspective.   This does not guarantee times will never be hard but, it does help us to handle those times with tranquility.  My son's Hebrew teacher asked the class to pick one thing for Shabbos that would make it special for them.  I thought this was a great idea, as they say today we need to own it.  Teaching the next generation to own their heritage is very important to carry on our nation, our faith, our traditions.  It will also help our kids deal with life better, make better decisions, as they become adults. 

What if we are not terribly observant, what can we do?  Realize Hashem loves us all no matter where we are coming from.  If we genuinely reach out to Him, He will definitely show us the next step.    Join a Torah class, study with a friend, or listen online.   Hashem is not looking for scholars, he is looking for genuine, humble hearts.

Some suggestions of where to start:

Ladies, we can light shabbos candles, its lighting candles with a purpose, praying for our families and thanking Hashem for His provisions. 
Husbands can bless you and the kids on Friday night.
Have children recite the shema before bed so G-d is one of the last things on their mind.
Put a mezzuzah on your doorpost so you can remember G-d's promises as we go out into the world.

These are our answers to worrying, one day at a time, getting closer to Hashem.

No comments:

Post a Comment