Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Oh No, Not The "D" Word

We had a wonderful weekend.  We celebrated Shabbat at home, relaxed with our family and then we had 2 more days off thanks to Presidents Day.  We ventured into the land of touch screen mobile phones after hours of debate as to which plan was best and which phone was best.  My phone rang last night and I didn't know how to answer it at first.  The pic below is my new phone, it was free at Radio Shack.  Of course my kids are texting and sending pics etc....from the moment it came into the house.  I will not be defeated-I am learning.



We gave my 17 year old his own phone as well, this came with careful consideration.  Up until now we shared a phone.  We felt he should have some freedom and responsibility-you shouldn't have one without the other.  Our kids can all recite the phrase "with greater privelege comes greater responsibility" in their sleep.  We could of course put on internet and email for him but, we did not.  I didn't put internet on my phone either, only my husband did since he is away from his computer all day long.
Its only $10 more a month so why not?  Look at all of the access we would have and its not expensive? Ok, so here is the "D" word.  Discipline.  I believe discipline is a good thing, and instant access to everything takes boundaries and discipline away.  I am speaking for myself as well as my kids.  Just because I am an adult doesn't mean I don't need similar boundaries as my kids.  Its like saying don't curse or watch certain moves as a kid but as an adult its fine.  I don't think so. 

Why do we have to have instant access?  FB at the tips of our fingers?  We are not given the opportunity to sit and think things over.  Should I have sent that video, should I have said that, is what my friend doing in another town more important that the people in front of me at the moment?  Is multitasking all its cracked up to be (talking to the people in front of me, looking at email and texting all at once)?  We won't even go into texting/talking and driving. 

As strange as it sounds we are so much happier when we have boundaries, when we are disciplined.  We need to know what is expected of us to be happy.  Our kids always provide the best example.  Children who are left to run amuck are unruly, those who have some order in their lives are more well mannered.  Do you like to know what is expected of you?  Of course and so do kids.  Without goals, boundaries and discipline kids will feel like they are not valued and they will act accordingly (think about the party house on your street with the drinking teens).  



So, back to the phone.  I spoke to customer service to verify some info on our plan and I asked about limitations.  They actually have a service for $4.99/month called Smart Limits and you can have a phone turned off at a set time each day.  The rep told me it is very popular. 

Limits are set out of love!

No comments:

Post a Comment