Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Handwriting and Yiddish Proverbs

Handwriting is a lost art these days with everyone using computers.

Why do I feel so strongly about teaching my kids penmanship-printing and cursive?  It seems in our fast growing world of texting, cutting and pasting, fb and youtube publishing we lose something.  Don't get me wrong, these are great devices when used properly but, do we stop and think about content when we are now on the road emailing, or is it just a get it done attitude, we have something to say and we need to say it fast!  We don't have time to think anymore, mulling something over until morning is almost a thing of the past.

My handwriting is neat when I take my time, my kids handwriting is neat when they take their time.  Just as we should consider our oral words we should consider our written words as well.   Home schoolers seem to instinctively know this.

I found a great website:

http://www.handwritingworksheets.com/

You can choose printing or cursive and you type on the page what you want your child to write and then hit the print button.  You have a custom work sheet.   

I had my kids practice their signature and now we are working on Yiddish proverbs-I figure if they are going to write something it should be something useful.

The proverb I picked for today is:   Silence is also speech.

You can google Yiddish proverbs and come up with some great stuff:

Money buys everything but good sense;  Make new friends but don't forget the old ones;  Words should be weighed, not counted; Tomorrow your horse may be lame

Have a great home schooling day!

1 comment:

  1. Wisdom must be passed on to be of any use and I think you are doing your children a tremendous good by teaching them what are fast becoming "the old ways."
    Shalom Sister!

    ReplyDelete