Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Getting To Know Us

Today is a busy day as I just started attending a ladies Torah study on Thursdays.   I used to think I didn't have time for things like this due to my busy schedule with my family (homeschooling, errands, chores) but, I realize I NEED this for me, which in turn is for them.   We are members of a Conservative synagogue but also attend a Chabad House for different events and holidays.  The two together have given us so much.   My daughter does scrap booking at Chabad-they have done the 10 commandments, the aleph beit, and mitzvots.  Its been a great hands on learning for her.  Here is a sample - one page is of the months of the year and the other one is of the cycle of the moon:



My oldest son plays guitar with a Klezmer band at our synagogue and also plays folk/country/bluegrass on Saturday nights after Shabbat (as well as during the week when he is able to).







My 2nd oldest son is my miracle baby, he was just 2 lbs when he was born.  The doctors were not hopeful in the begining but he proved everyone wrong.  I tell him he is my hero!  He is very creative and loves to draw and make movies.  He just drew this on the marker board this morning.





My 3rd son is just a mensch (sweet heart)!  He can play an instrument by ear but is not into it so much (yet) and is quite the dancer-lol.  He loves video games which make me crazy....so we compromise on which ones and how often.  Here he is at a shofar blowing contest.



A  little of what we learned today during Torah Study:

The word T'rumah is mentioned 3 times in the first 3 verses of the portion (Exodus 25:1-3).  The first time it is mentioned it is referring to the sockets, and only the sockets.  Everyone is to give a 1/2 a coin for the sockets-no more and no less.   The socket is what the pillars were put into,  it is the foundation of the Tabernacle and represents humility.   We all need a humble foundation in order to serve G-d; with humility our hearts are open to mitvot (good deeds) and Torah study. 

Well, its time to make gefilte fish for tomorrow night!
Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment