Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Interdependence

Interdependence.  My husband loves this word!  You know how it goes, you hear something once and then you hear it everywhere.  I was reading a book, Radical Homemakers, and it said if we lived in interdependent communities we could rely less on the gov't.  Then, I went to shul yesterday and we had a guest speaker, Naomi Levy, who spoke of..............you guessed it, interdependence (among other things).  Her talk wasn't on relying less on the gov't though, it was about finding our way through difficult times.  She was really a good speaker and was very encouraging; she said it was the caring of other people that got her through the hard times in her life. It was the people around her that helped her.

What I love about Judaism is it is one big family.  I can go to another town, state or country and when I find a Jewish community I am home.  We are not meant to handle life alone.  I read in The Committed Life, the reason we have poor and rich (not just speaking in terms of money) is so we can be interdependent (there's that word again) on each other, it causes us to work together.  We learn so much from giving and receiving, we shouldn't be ashamed to be on either end.  When we are hurting, we should not hurt alone, just as when we are happy we spread our joy to others.  When we give a hug, a dollar, a meal, a kind word, a dvar Torah, a ride to the store, this is interdependence

G-d is always with us, loves us, and guides us.  Praying to G-d helps us handle situations better; He is the great orchestrator and knows what it takes to make things turn out right; He will make sure we are in the right place at the right time, but then it is up to us to take the next step.  We are the ones who need to actually do the doing.  It all works together.  If we connect to G-d through prayer we become more like Him.  When we do a Torah study we can do it in the merit of someone or give tzedakah for a sick friend.   These situations involve more than one person, we need each other.   This is G-d's plan for us, to be interdependent.


No comments:

Post a Comment