Adventuresome Me

My photo
Who I started out as is not who I have become! I grew up in a small town, very small...and all I wanted to do was move to the city. Now as an adult that small town has grown and is overcrowded. I want what I had as a kid...small town living. We don't appreciate what we have until it is gone. I water my plants with my rain barrel water,grow veggies in the front yard and want chickens and goats in the worst way. I married my high school sweetheart and after 18 years of marriage converted to Judaism. Did I mention I have 4 kids and I homeschool? My oldest son just graduated! The purpose of this blog is to share my experiences--homeschooling, being Jewish and loving it in a not so Jewish town, gardening, animals, and alternative medicines. So, if any of these things interest you---come along for the ride!

Friday, February 11, 2011

Can I Have a Personal Relationship with G-d?

  

This week's parsha is found in Exodus 27:20-30:10.  Tetzaveh (and you shall command).  This parsha actually shows how we have a personal relationship with G-d, that He not only cares for us as a nation but as individuals.

It has been an age old question as to why the golden altar is left for this parsha instead of being included last week with the rest of the mishkan (tabernacle).   They say the best is saved for last.

Incense was brought to the altar by the priest, this was done in private-no spectators.  Only the priest and G-d were there.  When the incense went up, the Divine Presence was brought down.  We do not have incense today, we have prayer.  When we pray, our words go up and the Divine Presence is brought down.

Just like in the mishkan and later in the temple, there were public ceremonies and private ones; today we come together as a nation but, we also have private time alone with G-d.  Even in our communal prayer we pause in the middle for the amidah, the shul gets very quiet as we have our personal time with the Creator.  

Other religions try to copy the Torah and use incense in their worship today, the point is missed.  There is no physical tabernacle, we are the tabernacle and our prayers are the incense.  

So, the question is not can we have a personal relationship with G-d but, we need to.  We have the example to follow from the kohen and the incense; it is up to us to bring the Divine Presence into the world.   The best was saved for last-the golden altar, the kohen, the incense---our time with our G-d.

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment